I learned a long time ago only to take a carry-on – lost luggage can really ruin a trip. On my most recent trip to Morrocco, many women were victims of “lost luggage” – I have friends who went to Denmark whose luggage disappeared for three weeks. They returned home and still did not have their bags.
Here are my tips for packing:
- Choose a color scheme – I like to go with all black and perhaps some tan or white for accent colors.
- Mix and match – make sure all bottoms can go with all tops
- Pack a few scarves, inexpensive mala beads, and necklaces- accessories don’t take up much space. Leave expensive jewelry at home.
- Pack fabrics that don’t wrinkle – linen and silk can be challenging. As I found out in Morrocco- not every hotel has irons in the room.
- Use cubes to pack and put like-minded items – workout clothes, pants, tops – in their own cubes.
- Use a backpack as a second carry-on – I made the mistake of taking a large tote to Turkey, and I felt like a pack mule – it was clumsy and cumbersome.
- Consider purchasing travel clothes from Anatomie – their Kate Pant is the only thing I will wear on a plane – big pockets for passports are a plus, and you will arrive at your destination looking sharp and fresh. Save 20% with code YOGAFIT20 on all items.
- Put all items in your backpack into smaller bags for easy access and organization.
- Pare down on your supplements and put them by categories in small plastic ziplock bags. Ramp up on all immunity-boosting pills – My favorites are from GlobalHealing.com – iodine, Super C, probiotics, and their digestive enzymes are a must. Use discount code YOGAFIT to save 10%. I also always travel with DOterra’s essential oils – On Guard, Peppermint, and Lavender.
- Make a separate small bag for airplane essentials – headphones, socks, eyemask, pills, moisturizer, and lip balm – no digging needed.
- Pack a sweater no matter where you are going and leave your old jeans behind – you want to look your best anywhere you go, and they take up a lot of space.
- Pack fewer shoes – athletic shoes, sandals, and fashion sneakers – shoes take up a lot of room.
- Take photos of all your essential travel documents, passport, and credit cards in case of loss or theft.
- Be careful in foreign countries walking around with your head down in your phone- many of my traveling friends have had their phones stolen right out of their hands.
- Pack an open mind and the spirit of non-attachment to things. Let go of anything “being” a certain way.